Friday, March 14, 2008

Day Four: Flaco's statement to police

Officer Maldanado says that Flaco's understanding of English was "very limited."

While interviewed by UPD, Officer Maldanado says that he knew Flaco was wanted on warrants out of Syracuse. The officer is asked by prosecution to if the person interviewed is in the room. Officer says yes, and points to Cirino.

The officer is then asked to read from the statement.

In Flaco's statement, he said (paraphrased):

"On April 17, I was brought to UPD because of a warrant for my arrest. I met with investigator White. I dont' know English well. So officer Maldanado translated."

"On April 12, I awoke at 2 or 3 in afternoon, showered, got dressed and waited for my brother to come home from work. We then ate dinner. I went to Howard Ave to visit my cousin, Francisco Cirino."

"At about 8 p.m. Sammy came to my house with his son. Sammy stayed for half an hour. I told Sammy I was gonna turn myself in because of some warrants. Sammy said things were good with his wife and kids. We shook hands and left. I got a ride home from my brother, then showered and went to bed."

"Next day I read the newspaper and saw the officer was shot. I went to get my haircut on Saturday, and then I was told Sammy was locked up for what happened to the cop. I was going to the Domenican store at Seymour and Arthur. I met up with a guy I know as "Indio," Sammy's uncle."

"Indio said Sammy, Indio and another guy named Rico were on Neilson Street that night and were going to kill someone. They stole a car they left behind and got into Sammy's car. Sammy parked on Neilson Street that night and the officer then parked behind Sammy's car."

"Rico came up behind officer and shot him in the head. Rico is a short, and chubby Hispanic male with braids in his hair."

"I continued to the store for a loaf of bread."

No comments: